Tuesday, January 21, 2014

DIY: Refinish A Dresser

Hey Loves! I don't know about you girls but I love scrolling the pages of Pinterest looking for ideas on home decor and DIY projects. I kept seeing post of people taking older looking dressers and turning them into gorgeous more modern pieces. Don't get me wrong who doesn't want fabulous bedroom furniture, but have you seen the ridiculous prices on the furniture? I know that I don't want to pay $300+ for a modern looking dresser so I went on the hunt to find a cheaper alternative.
I looked on Craigslist around my area for a dresser to refinish. I search for weeks and all I could find was pieces that were around $100 which I still thought was a little much for a piece I am going to refinish and buy all new pulls for. So I put out an ad at work because we have a Bulletin Board which is just like Craigslist but only from people who work within the clinic system. Pretty awesome if you ask me. So I put an ad in wanted section that I was looking for a dresser to refinish. I receive an email with a picture of the perfect dresser and get this for free all I had to do was pick up the dresser. How amazing is that! With the help of my dad I had the dresser picked up and I was all ready for a weekend project.

I only had to purchase the paint ($11) and 5 drawer pulls ($12). I only spent 23 dollars refinishing this. Now if you need to buy the dresser itself or other supplies obviously your cost will go up but still a whole lot cheaper than buy brand new. Lets take a look at the before and after of my new gem!


Before



After

Supplies:
-Electric Sander
-Paint (I used black)
-Paint Brush
-Drawer Pulls

1. Sand down dresser to get rid of any imperfections
2. Wipe down the dresser with a dry towel to remove any excess dust
3. Paint dresser-- I did two coats
4. Allow paint to dry and add new pulls

So easy!  I can't believe how easy this project was and how much money I saved. I put the dresser in my bedroom and am also using as a TV stand which works great! Have you ever redone any furniture like this? I am so excited to find another DIY project.



Where to find me?

Facebook: www.facebook.com/tilson8913
Instagram: tilson8913
Twitter: wiscobeauty
Pinterest: tilson8913 or Chelsea Tilson
Email: tilson8913@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Chels, this is really cool what you're doing. Very proud of you. Makes me very happy and proud to call you my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused on how you are using a dresser as a TV?!? Tape pictures to the front? LOL!

    ReplyDelete