Monday, July 25, 2011

Summerify Your Makeup Routine

Hey Ladies! I am back with another post this time on my tips to make your makeup stay longer in the summer. I live in Wisconsin and we get gawd awful humidity in the summer. I am jealous of all you non-humid ladies out there. Here is a list of things I do to keep my makeup staying in place during the summer heat:


I always prime my face no matter what time of year it is. This step is critical in keeping your makeup in place all day. Using a primer really helps create a base for all of your makeup artistry that is yet to come.


I like to use MAC Fix+ (you can use another other type of makeup medium) after I apply primer but before I apply a powder or liquid foundation to really help my makeup blend well into my skin. I do think this step helps adhere my makeup to my face better.


I have oily skin so I always apply a powder after any liquid product I use on my face weather on my cheeks, eyes, or face. This helps the product last longer and also absorbs any oil you may have going on throughout the day.


OMG! Emilie Clark from youtube taught me this trick. Dipping your favorite eyeliner pencil into coordinating colored gel liners then applying to your water line was the best idea ever! Seriously the product applies so smoothly and stays in place all day... and the application has never been easier.


If I am wearing a lot of eyeliner especially black and I want the liner to stay in place all day and not budge an inch in that heat. I first dip my eyeliner penicl into a gel liner then apply to my water and tight line then I also use a small angled brush to apply a small amount of matte shadow over the liner. This helps the liner stay in place all day and keeps the liner from smudging into your lashes. Best thing ever... next to sliced bread =) (I had too)


Finally, the step you can never forget but I often do is to apply a makeup setting spray. As I mention below I like Kat Von D's Lock N' Load Makeup Mist. I used to use my Fix+ as a makeup setting spray but honestly that isn't really what I like it best for, blending is. I am not totally in love with KVD, so if anyone has suggestions on a setting spray let me know. I am on the look out for a new one.


Here is list of the tips and my favorite products:



  • Always prime your face- my favorite- Hard Candy Sheer Envy Primer $6 @ Wal-Mart

  • Fix your makeup- my favorite- MAC Fix+ maccosmetics.com 1oz $10 3.4oz $19

  • Set with powder- my favorites MAC MSF in Medium maccosmetics.com $27 or ELF Setting powder $6 target or eyeslipsface.com

  • Apply Eyeshadow Primer- my favorite- ELF mineral eyelid primer $3 Target or eyeslipsface.com

  • Dip eyeliner pencil into gel liner- my favorite-ELF gel liners $3 Target or eyeslipsface.com

  • Set eyeliner with matte shadows- depends on the color, but MATTE shadows work best

  • Finish with setting spray- my favorite- KVD Lock N' Load Makeup Mist $24 Sephora

If you don't need to wear a liquid foundation I would recommend not wearing one. They are harder to wear all day in the summers heat. Try to reach for a medium-full coverage powder instead. My favorites are MAC Studio Fix Powder and Clinque Pressed Powder. Wearing powder foundation helps to absorb the oils your face produces and liquid will just melt off. I promise it is okay to let your face breathe once and awhile. Hopefully some of these tricks will help you ladies out in the summer humidity. Enjoy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment