Friday, November 7, 2014

DIY: Gum Ball Machine Costume

Hey Loves! I know Halloween is past but I thought I would still post a a little DIY Halloween costume in case you wanted to pin this for next year! I actually found the idea for a gum ball machine on Pinterest in the first place. I couldn't find step by step by directions so I just did what I thought would work. Here is how I did it:



What you need:

-Tank Top (I used white)
-White Skirt or Red Skirt
-Rit Dye (optional if using red skirt)
-Hot Glue Gun
-Felt (black, grey, and white)
-Multicolored PomPom's
-Magic Marker


I could not find a red skirt so I used a white skirt and dyed it red using Rit dye. You can find Rit dye at most craft stores (Michaels or Wal-Mart). I do not follow the directions on the bottle. I use a large pot or container and fill with hot tap water and add half of the bottle of dye. I let the clothing item sit in the water for 1-2 hours stirring occasionally.  I then rinse out the item until the water runs mostly clear.I let the garment sit out over night and repeat the process the next day. I usually don't fully wash the garment I just let it dry overnight and throw in the dryer the next day with a dryer sheet to soften the fabric. 



Once you have your skirt dyed you can begin the gum top! This is super easy, I promise. All you need to do is put a line of glue across the top and then quickly add PomPom's on top. I did about half across at a time so the glue didn't totally dry. I also later went back and added extra Poms in white spaces. Be careful and don't do the whole shirt because your skirt will probably have a high waist and cover a good portion.  Make sure to try on the top and skirt so you don't go over board with the PomPom's. 


Finally, you will need to create the gumball machine face! I used a rectangle piece of grey and added a black slot and level arm. I just guessed the shape and sizes. I added a white square that said "25 cents" with Magic Marker (Sharpie). Now, I live in Wisconsin therefore Halloween is normally very cold so I ended up adding suede boots and a black open faced cardigan to stay warm!

I just curled my hair with a one inch barrel and the lipstick I wore was Viva Glam Nicki by MAC. I thought a bubble gum pink was totally appropriate for the look. Hopefully this gives you  a little inspiration for next year costume! I only ended up spending around $20 but if you already have a skirt or tank top you will end up spending less. Good luck! 




Where to connect with me?

Pinterest: tilson8913
Email: tilson8913@gmail.com
Ebates: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment