Monday, September 8, 2014

DIY-Purple Hair

Hey Loves! I am sure almost all of you know that I have moved within the past month or so and if you didn't well now you know. Since I have moved I am no longer with my fabulous old hair dresser Samantha. I last had my hair dyed in July and was in need for a new color or freshen up. Since I am back in school and not holding down a full-time job in health care I decided to go a little crazy this time--purple! If you have followed me for a long time then you know that I used to have purple highlights throughout my hair. This time since I had already bleached my hair in July and had red applied overtime I wanted to keep those highlights still visible and not cover them up by a dark color. 
I contacted Samantha who hooked up me with the correct formulas and goodies needed to get purple hair at home. I used to dye my hair out of a box when I was in high school for several years. Since I know Samantha is amazing with hair and I might know a little bit about hair myself I had no problem reaching out for some advice. I purchased all of my supplies from Sally's Beauty Supply and ended up costing me around $30 but I will not have to purchase the bowls, brush, beaker, or developer next time--just the color itself. 

2 Mixing Bowls
1 Brush
1 Color Beaker
1V Plum Black Age Beautiful Anti-Aging Haircolor
4V Dark Plum Brown Age Beautiful Anti-Aging Haircolor
10 Volume Age Beautiful 10-Volume Developer
20 Volume Age Beautiful 20-Volume Developer

As mentioned above I wanted to keep the top of my hair lighter then the underneath half. For the top I used the 4V Color and 20 Volume Developer to get a rich purple and used the 1V Color with the 10 Volume Developer for the bottom. To mix the color correctly you do 1 part color (1 ounce) with 1 part Developer ( 1 ounce). I used separate bowls so I would not get the colors mixed up before I applied them to my hair. 
I had my roommate apply the color and then waited 30 minutes before rinsing out. I did use the whole tube of color which was 2 ounces so I used 2 ounces developer with each tube. I did not want to run out of color and I ended up using all of the color. My hair is around chest length with lots of layers and is not thick. 


Before & After

After
As you can see my hair really took the color and came out looking very vibrant and rich. Now remember I had a reddish tint to begin with and the pieces were previously bleached so those pieces held the color very nicely. If you would apply this over a darker hair you would end up with more of a plum color. The underneath of my hair is almost black which isn't shown the best in the pictures. 
I would suggest anyone who wants to color their hair check with a stylist first before doing anything to your hair. Remember that washing your hair less often will keep the color in longer and don't wash your hair for 48 hours after coloring this allows the color to truly develop before giving your hair a good washing.  
I hope you all enjoyed this post and I would love to see picture if anyone else tries out the purple hair! Obviously, I am not guaranteeing that your hair will turn out the same as mine because every one's hair is different. 

Stay up to date with my life by following my social media:

Pinterest: tilson8913
Ebates: Click here

3 comments:

  1. im trying the 4v over my faded red ombre do....hope it turns out just as good!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this color on my reddish dark brown hair tomorrow. My natural hair color is dark brown with grays (uggh)! Hopefully its beautifully subtle for the office but still somewhat noticeable. Thanks for the post and tips!

    ReplyDelete