Friday, August 22, 2014

How To: Extend Your Style Between Washes

Hey Loves! I wanted to share with you guys how I get second day hair and the steps I take to achieve that perfect second day hair. Now if you know me in real life then you know my hair gets extremely greasy and I have a bad habit of touching my hair in the front. I have found that I can get away with not washing my hair for more days if I use a curling wand on either the first day or the second day. When my hair is curly I tend to touch it less because I spend more time teasing my hair so I find that I don't want to mess that up. If you tease your hair then you know what I mean. You just need to find a style that works best for you. I am not into wearing my hair in a ponytail or half-up I just like to wear my hair down a lot of the days. I will occasionally pin my bangs back in the in the front if I feel like they are looking dirty. 
Now using the right products are essential in stretching your style out a day or two. The first thing you are going to want to do is really shampoo your roots in the shower with a good clarifying shampoo or any shampoo but just really work this into your roots. My favorite is Head & Shoulders Damage Rescue Shampoo. Next you are going to want to either use a regular conditioner or if you are planning on wearing your hair straight you could do a hair mask. My favorites Head & Shoulders Damage Rescue Conditioner or L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm. I do not suggest using a hair mask if you plan on curling your hair because dirty hair or less conditioned hair will hold a curl longer--if you didn't know. 
The day that I wash my hair I usually let me hair air dry about 40% before I add in any products and blow dry. I always try to add some kind of hair serum or oil to keep my hair healthy and shiny. My favorites are Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum or It's A 10 Miracle Leave-In-Conditioner. I also like to add in a heat protectant before I blow dry or use hair tools. My favorites are Kenra Platinum Blow Dry Spray or Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Protective Spray.  Then I blow dry my hair and either use my flat iron to straighten my hair or use a curling wand to add waves. I like to use my curling wand over my straightener because I end up using less heat over the next few days. My favorite curling wand is by Conair and my straightener is from CHI. I find curling wands hold my hair curly for longer and this requires less touch-ups on day two or three. I try to avoid adding hair spray or finishing sprays after heat styling on the first day because my hair tends to get greasy or crunchy from these types of products. 
I wear my hair in a bun on the top of my head  or down to sleep. I do shower on the second and third day but I just put my hair on my head and avoid the water while taking a showering. Don't think because you aren't washing your hair that you can't wash your face or body. Hygiene is important people! Some people wear a shower cap but I find those annoying so I just keep my hair up and out of the water instead. 
I leave my hair up until I have finished my makeup and then I let my hair down and brush it out. If my ends are feeling a little dry I might add a little extra serum (as mentioned above) only to my ends. I then take my favorite dry shampoo and spray throughout on my roots. My favorite is Batiste Dry Shampoo Hint of Colour. I make sure to cover my whole head in this product to make sure that my roots are not going to appear oily in anyway. Almost always on the second day I will have curly hair. I either use my wand to touch up any uncurled areas or go ahead and curl my whole head. I like to add a little extra tease on the second day to keep my roots off my my scalp. My favorite product to keep my tease lasting is L'Oreal Boost It High Lift Creation Spray. I use this in conjunction with a teasing comb of my choice. 
I will sometimes add a little hair spray on the second or third day depending on how well my hair is holding its style. When I do wash my hair again just remember to really wash your roots because you do not want a build up of product to be left in your hair because that only allows your hair to get dirty faster. 


First Day Curly Hair
Second Day Hair Unstyled
Second Day Hair Styled
Second Day Hair Styled
As you can see my second day hair curls are a little less perfect and a little more natural looking which is actually how I prefer my hair to be. If you think your hair needs a little boost of scent feel free to add in a little body mist or hair mist of your choice. If I know I am going to be working out I usually will end up washing my hair-- just a personal preference.
Hopefully this blog post will help you guys save your hair from a little damage of daily shampooing and allow to stretch out those styles a few more days. Do you have any other tips or tricks for extending your style?

Stay up to date with my life by following my social media:

Pinterest: tilson8913
Ebates: Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment